Strong Advocates Dedicated To Obtaining The Best Possible Results

How do I report nursing home abuse?

On Behalf of | Feb 26, 2016 | Elder Law

You trusted the care of your elderly mother to professionals in an assisted living home. Now you suspect your worst fear has come true. You believe she has been abused by the very people responsible for her care and protection. You feel angry, betrayed and unsure where to turn for help. Who should you contact? What steps do you take to help your mother and prevent this from happening to other vulnerable adults?

To make a report of suspected abuse you should contact the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS). DADS provides a variety of services for individuals who are elderly or disabled. These include investigating suspected neglect or abuse.

When you make a report with DADS it is kept confidential unless information is required to be released by law. As a reporter, you can also choose to remain anonymous.

What happens after you make a report?

Once a report is made, a DADS employee will conduct an onsite investigation. This investigation is unannounced and may include observations, reviews of records and interviews with those involved. After the investigation is completed the reporter is informed of the results (if the reporter does not choose to remain anonymous) either by phone or in writing.

Contact an attorney

In addition to filing a report with DADS it is wise to contact an attorney with experience in elder law. Attorney Brian Fant has completed a Master’s in Elder Law. This makes him uniquely qualified to assist clients with elder law matters including abuse, neglect and exploitation.